Saturday, July 16, 2011

and then there was internet...

imagine my happiness when i got home last night and found myself WITH INTERNET. omg. yay. FINALLY. now i can do questions and read and look up crap and play and all those other things AT HOME. and not have to stay at the hospital (in my call room) and do internetty things.

intern year so far so well. wonderful co-residents. getting a hang of the floor. i can discharge people. i can write orders. i've done 2 procedures...shaved off some warty things and did a punch biopsy. only been into the OR once to "watch" an excision of a melanoma and sentinal node biopsy (while scrubbed), but that's ok. the service i'm on, plus the weird timing of various courses that i had to do kept me out of the OR. plus i have to put out fires on the floor, right? in a week i'll be starting plastics where i'll be the only resident for the whole month. i think i'll get plenty of OR time then. it's all good.

i have found an absolutely fabulous vietnamese restaurant in town. i've been there twice in the last 3 days. the owner was like YOU'RE BACK last night, and i just laughed. and what's so nice about the hospital feeding me so much is that i feel like i can splurge a bit when i do pay for my own food...which is good and bad i suppose.

i am finding that i feel more in my element. i'm not perfect, and that will obviously take a while (ha!), so my goal for each day is "if i'm going to screw up, i want it to be on the least meaningful/important thing". so usually it's that i haven't called someone "fast enough" for my attending's liking, or i missed a form i was supposed to sign (but i'll get called about that by nurses or social work etc., so no problems really). i've gotten good at writing down my checklists, and thank goodness that we have a computerized ordering system so i can sit in one place and put in my orders anywhere. as far as i can tell i haven't made any medical errors, and i always call "up the chain". for example, on call, when i get paged, i go see the patient, formulate my plan, call an upper level (they told us to do this nearly 100% of the time for at least the first few weeks), confirm/change plan, and then enact plan and write a note. then i'll update that team's signout info online. the key is SEEING THE PATIENT. one of my co-interns already got a little burned for not doing that. lesson learned. the second key is already having my own plan. that way the upper level doesn't think i'm lazy and i can learn...maybe i have the correct plan, or maybe it should be changed, or maybe i'm right but that particular attending likes things a certain way. things that i wouldn't know necessarily, but i'm learning now.

in life outside the hospital news, my serrano pepper plant has been making peppers. which i haven't had a chance to eat yet. alas. and my bell pepper plant has FINALLY decided to grow a pepper, despite many flowers. the key lime tree is growing nice and bushy...apparently he really enjoys the new weather conditions. (that makes me happy, because i thought he was going to die a few months ago, and now he's looking so well!) the kitchen has been set up (first room i did), the bedroom is fine. no couches yet, so the living room area is just coffee tables and boxes, and the 2nd bedroom/office is still empty. H is making his way up here soon, so i'm really excited about that. and since this is my GOLDEN WEEKEND, tomorrow will be "cleaning day" and "making room for more crap day". yay!

today i'm going to go to some local markets with a few of my new resident friends. and then depending on if my friend A is up for a visit, i'll drive to visit her (about an hour away)...she's on a really busy ICU month so i'm going to leave the visiting up to her. a note about the markets...I LOVE THEM. there are so many around where i am so i just take my cooler with some ice and go ahead. bring cash, i've learned. i've been able to eat some of the best fruit and find some excellent cheese and all that fun stuff. maybe today i'll get some meat or something to cook for tomorrow. definitely will get some wine.

ok interwebs...i'm back online at home so hopefully the posts will be increased. and if there's anything you want me to talk about, just ask! thanks for bearing with me.

2 comments:

Just an Intern said...

Hey Fry,
Love your blog too! I added you to "healthcare team" list of links so that I could pop by and check in on you, too. :)

Hang in there.

J (Medical Intern)

Red Stethoscope said...

fry-I am so flattered that you even managed to read AND comment on my blog during your free time! Thank you for sharing what's going on...I feel slightly less terror about the dreaded intern year. (Look! I "know" someone and she's like, alive and stuff. :D) Glad that you have internet at home again!