Wednesday, August 18, 2010

off at 2:30 pm...

and something has to be screwy, right? today was just a really rare day i guess. tomorrow is full of craziness...vascular conference at 7 am, meeting with VIP at 2 pm, and then vascular journal club at fancy restaurant at 6 pm. aaak!

the last few days on the service have been tinged with some sadness...we've had a couple of deaths lately. some were expected, one in particular was not. the unexpected one, well, it was still expected, just not WHEN it happened i guess. the spouse was all sad and hugged me for a long time, which is fine, but i'm not used to touching patients in a non-medical kind of way. (i know, sounds weird, but you have to have boundaries somewhere or you just get emotionally overwhelmed, at least that's what i try to do.) that same day i was consoling the spouse, another patient cussed me out, but that's ok. i would have been angry too, but i don't think the patient was comprehending that i was there to help, so they cussed me out. but then they were nice to me once the info was finally understood. so when i got home, i had to cook up a storm because my brain was all over the place.

yesterday i got to sew up an incision that was REALLY REALLY CLOSE to the graft the team had just put in. and i didn't poke any holes in the graft, of course. i LOVE sewing! though i was definitely on high alert to not poke any holes. the resident was staring me down like a hawk, but it's all good. i didn't let him down.

so tonight i think i'll be going to the gym, baking some cupcakes, and reading my article for journal club tomorrow. oh yeah, and not freaking out about my meeting tomorrow. to be honest, i'm just happy to be seeing the sun shine for once...

1 comment:

chasingzebras said...

I'd let you sew me up after a transplant any day :)