Sunday, February 07, 2010

go saints!

i'm really excited about today, since i have been a saints fan since i guess i was born. saints by default. i really really want them to beat the colts, i just want them to WIN! i'm going to a party later today, and in the NOLA spirit i'm making a king cake. i'm just hoping it's better than my first attempt, where the filling exploded out and the baby jesus "almond" came out and all. but i think this time will be better. it's currently in its first rising.

i sent an email today to an attending i had on CT surgery who told me "keep me in touch" at the end of my 2 weeks telling him that i have decided on general surgery, more or less. (i didn't say "more or less", ha.) i have spent the last few weeks telling myself that...and i'm becoming more comfortable with the idea...i guess the only thing really holding me back is that i know i'm not a very competitive student, and i'm scared of failing at getting into a residency. the best thing i can do now is just make a wonderful step 2 ck score. after surgery is over this month i will begin officially my step 2 studying. 5 year residency! aaah! so long, BUT when i think about it, if i did anything else, i would specialize. take peds, if i did end up doing peds, i would want to specialize in something, which would add 2-3 years anyway. that would be 5-6 years right there to specialize. so i guess it works out anyway. it's just scary. everything moves so fast in med school, it almost seems unfair that we have to pick as soon as we do. someone i know was going to do internal medicine, and then happened to do a pathology month in JANUARY and then SWITCHED! after he had gone on medicine interviews! so he's gone on 1 path interview at our school, and just hoping that he matches there. 1 interview. switching in january? it's so scary. and they want us to know like now what we want to do. it makes me want to vomit sometimes.

i've gotten really good comments (at least in my opinion) so far. i'm sure most people get good comments, but i guess since i haven't gotten any bad ones, that helps me out? and i don't necessarily know everything that i should, but i get EXCITED!!! ha, i think i scare some of the surgeons because i'm a bit too eager, but i think they appreciate the FUN i bring to the table. i mean, who gets excited about retracting with a damn malleable? ME! haha...

H and i racked the orange wine yesterday, and it's bubbling well. i hope it tastes better than what it tasted like yesterday...haha. it's still got some clarifying to do...

now i'm thinking about lunch...i'm thinking a veggie fried rice...i have broccoli, asparagus, tofu, and rice, so hoping it tastes good. reserving the lovely solitary egg i have for the egg wash on the king cake. and i'm doing a cream cheese filling for it. and glazes with appropriate colored sugars. i'm using orange to flavor everything...blood orange, to be precise. and the COLOR of the juiced blood oranges is quite lovely. LOVELY!

ok, i will start cooking now and then do some reading in between tending to my cake. good day everyone...

3 comments:

OleMissBabyDoc said...

Who dat? :)

Congratulations to another born-and-bred Saints fan!

Fizzlemed said...

Oh, my dear. I'm afraid I have to be angry with you. I am a born and bred Colts fan. Sad Panda for us. It all turned around wen Garcon had to go and let that ball bounce off his chest. Dangit. Well, we'll get y'all next year.

On a more medical note-- I am terrified of choosing a specialty!! A lot of my peers are doing a hospital-run paid volunteer-type program to expose students to some specialties, but its uber competitive and I need to learn some Spanglish this summer. I know I don't want to do anything private practice, and surgery is something I've considered. My grades are pretty much all just passes, and I'm scared that it won't be good enough to land me a residency when the time comes. I'm merely a pee-on first year, but the terror is already creeping in.

Good luck on Step 2CK!

frylime said...

fizzlemed...thanks for stopping by!

advice to you, just show improvement from year to year. that's what i keep hearing, and that's what i've been doing!