Friday, January 15, 2010

of cabbages and kings...

yesterday i scrubbed in to 2 CABGs...coronary artery bypass surgery. TWO OF THEM. BACK TO BACK. my legs still hurt. and i was on call. luckily call wasn't bad. (after i finish this update i'm going to bed.) first CABG lasted from about 8:30-5:00 (8.5 hours?) and then the second one was like 6:00-11:00 (5 hours). that hour or so (i think it was less than an hour between the two) i met up with H who so graciously brought me a sandwich to eat...i sat in his car, crammed down the sandwich, and then ran back to the OR to get scrubbed in to the emergent CABG. and of course the ER folks gave the patient plavix so the pt was bleeding everywhere...i counted at least 4 units of packed rbcs and 2 units of platelets in addition to all the cell saver units. but i learned all about CABGs...they're actually a bit of fun when they let you sew up the leg for the vein grafts and retract the HEART and whatnot. but the sewing of the grafts onto the heart...well...that's boring because 1) you can't see (it's microsurgery basically), and 2) it takes freaking forever. i also learned that a cup of coffee and a granola bar before 6:00 am can last you through 5:00 pm...

my upper level resident gave me a ton of suturing technique tips and advice yesterday...he said i was doing a great job and i'm excited to learn the new technique he showed me. supposedly it will make me faster and look more graceful. but the way i'm suturing now is completely acceptable (it's the way everyone is taught), but i want to learn the "advanced way" because i really like to sew. goodness...maybe i will be a surgeon after all...

1 comment:

chasingzebras said...

That sounds more like my time on Cardiothoracic :) The latest they ever kept me in the OR was until 9:00 though.
Glad you're having fun with suturing the legs. I always liked it when they let me do that too.