Thursday, March 22, 2007

thoughts for a thursday...

today was a special day at work. how so, you might ask...well...today had a morning of mass confusion, a wonderful noon lunch, and an afternoon that went by so quickly it was like it never happened.

this morning it came to light very quickly that one of the doctors didn't communicate well enough that he would be out of town in the morning. so i scheduled him to go in the morning, and after the patient was on the table, the doctor called, it became known that he was not going to be there till at least 1:00. patient was taken off the table, apologized to, and the charge nurse began to freak out. questions were asked of me, but alas, i had checked in with the particular doctor's nurse the day before, and she gave me the go ahead. (a.k.a. "not my fault".) then another doctor who had late morning patients said he wasn't coming until the afternoon, which is something his office didn't communicate to me, but in this case, it was on the call calendar that he was going to be out of town in the morning. so, partly my fault. however, this aspect of the calendar had never been pointed out to me, and if i'm not shown something during my "training period", then it's hard for me to know what's right. so, partly not my fault. the moral of this story is that a) always check with nurses of doctors from other practices, and b) take a better look at the call calendar since i know what everything means now.

lunch was a lovely vegetarian fare and quite relaxing. sometimes it's really great to not have to eat greasy cafeteria food that promotes obesity in the healthcare task force.

this afternoon went by so fast...i fixed tomorrow's schedule about a zillion times to perfection, and then, alas, another change. oh well! i also have made friends with 2 guys that work in the echo department who are in my age range of people acceptable to be friends with, and one of them is like an "alternative music" kind of guy, so i've been expounding to him the many virtues of my friends who have bands who are going to play soon here. (sidenote: i should get some sort of recognition for my marketing services...free t-shirts? beer? a lovely afternoon at the zoo?) i also listened to J's drama, which is always interesting, and drank coffee. hospital coffee, for that matter, which is kinda gross.

other things i've been meaning to say...so i wear green scrubs to work. free hospital scrubs. i get on the elevator to go up some flights to work, and this woman automatically presses my floor for me without me even asking! i asked her, "how did you know my floor?" and she replied, "you're green." i had been COLOR PROFILED! i didn't know what to think...! turns out, since all invasive procedures (surgeries, cath procedures, etc) are done on my floor, the surgical scrubs everyone wears are the green ones. so therefore, i am a green entity.

and something to complain about...in the stairwells, the steps are grouped into flights of 7 steps each, 4 flights per floor. (i hope i'm saying the right thing.) it really pisses me off that it's 4 groups of 7. i hate that! since i'm right-footed, i prefer to start going up and down beginning with my right foot. therefore, my right foot gets 4 steps, and my left gets 3. i have this irrational fear that my right leg is going to become grossly larger than my left leg, so i have to make sure that i alternate stepping on both legs. however, in doing that, i throw off the natural rhythm of coming off the flight, making my 180 degree turn to the next flight. it's such a hard thing to master, and i'm just thinking, IF ONLY THEY MADE AN EVEN NUMBER OF STEPS then my life would just be peachy.

2 comments:

crazy j elam said...

At least no was critically injured on line during the queue.

Andrea said...

I'm a random reader of your blog (found through other blogs) and you crack me up! Those last two paragraphs were hilarious. Don't we all have those weird irrational fears?